Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Being Thankful

Oftentimes, regardless of where we are in life, we all have things to be thankful for. As I sat at the Thanksgiving Day table this year, I looked around and began to think of what I was thankful for.

Many people are simply thankful that they opened their eyes to the morning sun. My late grandma always used to say the most important part of her day was opening her eyes. It used to freak me out a bit when she would say this but now I understand what it meant to her. Just the thought of having another morning… she was thankful for that. Why is it that the less someone has – in her case, time – the more thankful they are for the simplest and most basic of what life offers?

I hope everyone continues to remember what to be thankful for well beyond the Thanksgiving holiday, and should times get rough, there is always the morning sun to be thankful for. Being thankful doesn’t have to end with a thought but can be translated into action – action to donate time as a volunteer or action to donate money to your favorite charity or action to share what others are doing that make you thankful.

-- Patrick O'Kane
Director of Operations

P.S. If you are a client reading this, I’m thankful you reached out for what help we can provide. If you are a volunteer, I am thankful you give of your time and energy. If you are a donor, I am thankful you give so generously. If you are a staff member, I’m thankful you are helping us meet our mission. If you are anyone else, I’m thankful you are reading this and hope you will become a client, volunteer, donor, or staff member.

No comments: