AARP has compiled a list of smart money-saving tips for consumers of any age. Here are a few… more can be accessed at www.aarp.org/bulletin:
1. Use up to 60% less energy by boiling water in a microwave rather than on an electric stove.
2. Lower your thermostat in the winter; to feel more comfortable at lower temperatures, place pans of water near heating outlets because water-filled air retains heat better.
3. Save water on a flush by putting a plastic bottle full of water, weighted by pebbles, in your tank.
4. Get a rain barrel to collect water for your lawn and garden.
5. Free treatment and medication may be available if you qualify for a medical study; find studies at www.clinicaltrials.gov.
--by Brad Catherman, Vice President for Gift Planning